Friday, March 28, 2008

The Grand Canyon


On the way from California to Georgia, Heather and I were able to stop at the Grand Canyon. Actually it was about 70 miles out of the way but how do you pass up the Grand Canyon?!
As we pulled up to the south rim we couldn't help to drop our jaws and say "sheeesh". I think we stopped on the perfect day! The sky was clear, the air was crisp, the sun was bright, and the colors of the canyon catapulted from the cliffs like a fire! We must have stood there for ages as we took in the beauty. After the obligatory picture in front of the majestic canyon we walked across the street to the gift shop to buy our daughter something. While we were in there I saw a book for sale on the shelf called DEATH IN THE CANYON. It was a book about hundreds of people who have died in the canyon. It was the actual stories of what happened! From suicides to drownings in the river to hiking accidents to everything else!! I decided not to buy this for my daughter and instead opted for the Grand Canyon building blocks.
I wonder what it must have been like for the first men who discovered that gigantic hole in the earth. I wonder how long it took them to grasp the beauty of what they were beholding. I wonder if any of them found it possible to be an atheist after seeing it? But most of all I couldn't shake this nagging thought............ I wonder how many people have accidentally dropped their expensive digital cameras in it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been there! and I saw that book too, Me and my dad flipped through it, but we decided not to buy it either