Friday, March 28, 2008

Red Rocks of Sedona



Along our journey headed east we stopped in Sedona, Arizona. Honestly, I had never heard of this place before but when we got there I wondered why! Sedona is famous for the blazing red sandstone formations most famously known as the Red Rocks of Sedona. As I toured Sedona I felt like I was a gun-slinging character right out of 3:10 to Yuma. 
We took a trolly ride tour through Sedona and for about 3/4 of the tour we were the only people on it! As we sat in the trolly on wheels with the jackalope head hanging from the rear-view window speeding through Sedona I felt happy. It's moments like these you don't get too often.
I'm trying to learn to slow down and enjoy the simple moments in life. A bumpy ride in a Sedona trolly. A moment standing in front of a giant red rock towering high above the ground like an indian warrior. A moment talking with our New Age tour guide about how long she's lived there and why she believes that Sedona's mighty red rocks have magical vortex power. I've been reflecting recently on how the passing moments of life are gifts that we will never get back. Once they are gone they are gone forever. So as the famous line from The Shawshank Redemption goes, "Get busy living, or get busy dying."
I don't believe that the mighty red rocks of Sedona have magical vortex power. But I do believe the One who made those rocks is mighty indeed.

1 comment:

RLHanks said...

Dude that line from Shawshank is one of the greatest quotes of all time

-Jonathan Hanks