Friday, February 23, 2007

HOME DEPOT CHURCH


I went to Home Depot this morning to buy a wheelbarrow. Have you ever noticed that you can't ever seem to find an employee at Home Depot when you really need one? I had to walk up and down aisles stocked with millions of abstract items I know nothing about simply to find one 17 year old with an orange apron tied around his waist over his velcroed back-brace.


My conversation went like this:


"Where are your wheelbarrows?"


"Uh....Over there." (17 year old pointing back the exact way I had come from)


"K.....Thanks" (me feeling stupid)


Finally I found them......unassembled!! DOH!!

A sign posted at the top of the 40 foot scaffolding declared in large Sharpie-font "BUY ASSEMBLED! ASK AN EMPLOYEE!!


DOH!!! Not again!!


After an excursion to the carpet section I found a lady with the orange apron identifier.


"Excuse me.....where are the assembled wheelbarrows?" (I ask frustrated at 8:30 in the morning)


"Out front. Go get one and bring it inside to pay for it." (she says clearly frustrated that I'm speaking to her at 8:30 in the morning)


"K.....thanks." (I say wishing I was at LOWE'S)


After kicking an assembled wheelbarrow out front because it was locked to 23 other wheelbarrows and a large stone pillar I set out to find a third Home Depot Disciple. This time one was standing near the front of the store. A 19 year old girl with fresh highlights chewing gum.


"Can I please get a wheelbarrow?" (I ask sheepishly resigned to their soveriegn will)


"Sure" (she said in a way where I could tell she meant "DUH!")


"They're locked up" (I say in a way meaning "DUH!!!!!")


"Oh"


Rolling her eyes she calls for help on a really loud red phone.

A frustrated manager stomps to the front, walks speedily past me, looking back once to make sure I was following her the way a small starving pup would, unlocks them and waits for me to let her get back to doing whatever it is she wants to do.

FINALLY! I HAVE IT!! NOW ALL I HAVE TO DO IS PAY!!


Inside.....the checkout person isn't a person at all. It's a machine. A robot checked me out at Home Depot. I must admit though.......it was more helpful.


Sometimes when I have experiences like this I can't help but to think about how often I must treat people this way. I know there have been many times when I have treated people as a burden. Many times when I have been less-than-helpful to others who just need a bit of leadership and care. I make excuses for myself during these moments as to why I treat them this way. Excuses help to seperate me from the people who treat me this way. Excuses help me feel better.


I wonder how many people have visited a church body on a Sunday just to leave perplexed and confused and undervalued.


May we always be people who give Christ a good name in the way we treat others. Whether we're the church or a manager at Home Depot.



1 comment:

mom said...

loooove your brain Anson!! Thanks for giving me and George our dose of "daily laughter"..I guess what made it so funny was we have "been there too"..not to mention we were able to just see you doing this!!~~We love your blog page. Its a great way of us finally being able to keep up with whats going on in your daily life, out in californy!! Give our beautiful grandaughter a hug and kiss. We miss and love yall so much!inkeaYoT