Monday, May 19, 2008

30


This past Saturday (May 17th) I experienced my 30th birthday. Yes, that’s right………30. It was an amazing day. My beautiful wife Heather made the day extra awesome by giving me some great gifts and taking me to the Braves game with some friends. Even though they ended up losing 5-4 to the Oakland A’s, I didn’t let it get me down. I mean it was my 30th birthday for crying out loud!!! Now some people freak out about milestones like this. I on the other hand don’t really get too obsessed with it. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I work with teenagers. They really do keep you young when you spend a lot of time with them. Then, when your kids become teenagers I hear it all catches up with you and you age three to four times faster than normal!!

What’s the point of letting a 30th birthday bother you?! It’s inevitable!! It’s called the space-time continuum and none of us have any control over it whatsoever. With every tick of the second-hand on a clock we age until it all compounds and finally we’re 73 years old sitting in a padded rocking chair, rubbing the few hairs still clinging to the back of our head, asking “Pardon me?” after every question we are asked, while our spouse wipes the prune juice from our chin.

Actually I’m kind of glad I’m 30. I was reading a blog the other day where the author pointed out that the Talmud (Pirkei Avot 5:26) declares: "At age 30, one receives strength." The author of the blog went on to say:

“The Code of Jewish Law (O.C. 581:1) instructs congregations to seek certain qualities when choosing a cantor to lead the services on the High Holidays. One of these qualities is that he should be at least 30 years old. Why? The Mishna Brura explains that it is because a 30-year-old is humble and broken hearted, and can thus sincerely "pray from the heart."

It would seem that the Torah understands age 30 as a "moment of truth" when certain realities of life firmly take hold, and it is only through the acquisition of these realities that one can be a leader -- whether in public life or in prayer.”

I’ve always thought it was interesting how according to Genesis 41:46, “Joseph was thirty years old when he entered the service of Pharaoh king of Egypt.” And Jesus, of course, was 30 when he began his public ministry. So maybe 30 isn’t that bad. Why should I be depressed about it when apparently it’s quite a significant milestone in Jewish culture?

I have entered into a new season of my life. I want to be a faithful, passionate man of God for the next 30 years of my life and beyond. Thirty years from today I hope to be talking with my wife, Heather, about all the amazing things we saw the Lord do in and through us. And hopefully the vast majority of them occurred after I had turned 30. But until then I will thank my Lord for the 30 years he has given to me so far. And maybe….just maybe……I’ll go buy some dark socks, wear them with my flip-flops and purchase a really huge fanny-pack to put my chapstick collection in.

1 comment:

RobertAGC said...

As someone who is closing-in on thirty, I appreciate this.