Saturday, May 24, 2008

UNDER THE SEA!


















Last week I loaded up the family in the trusty Honda Pilot and we headed out on an adventure. The mission: To explore the ocean without getting wet or having to put on really uncomfortable scuba gear while avoiding the sad experience of becoming an appetizer for some famished Tiger Shark. The Destination: The Georgia Aquarium. 
Living in California for over the past 5 years, and having only heard about the aquarium, Heather and I honestly weren't sure what to expect! For all we knew it was a large pool in downtown Atlanta surrounded by a rusty barbed-wire fence with 50 pound catfish and a couple Alligators, wrestled away from their home in the Okefenokee Swamp, only to be dropped into midtown! We would buy our tickets from a man in a straw hat named Cleetus who would then point and say "It's down yunder yawwwll." Man, were we in for a huge surprise!!!
During our time in California we were blessed to be able to visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium a few times and I really do think that this one could give that one a run for its money! Or maybe this experience to an aquarium was just a trillion times more fun because of the little girl I had on my shoulders who about every 6 seconds would scream out, "DADA FIIIISSSHHHHH!!"
They had just about every underwater creature you could possibly imagine with the exception of live mermaids and the loch ness monster (though I'm pretty sure they have probably sent some south Georgia big-game hunters to Scotland to bag that one!!). There were tropical fish, fish from rivers, and fish from deep down in the darkness of the ocean. There were penguins, beavers, sea lions and my personal favorites: Four Tiger Sharks!! I think the Tiger Sharks are my favorite because if I were a fish that's probably what I would be. Tiger Sharks remind me a lot of myself in-other-words. They are strong, intimidating, sleek, extremely cool, it's known for eating a wide variety of items, and, according to Wikipedia, "It has sometimes been found with man-made waste such as license plates or pieces of old tires in itsdigestive tract."  
Don't ask!!
Finally, there were the Beluga Whales. Spectacular, massive, creatures that almost look like they have a human face on them. It kind of reminded me of Randy Jackson. Seriously!! Find a picture of one and tell me that dude doesn't look just like a Beluga Whale!! I mean no disrespect...just tryin' to speak the truth!!
Anyway, as I walked through the Georgia Aquarium that day with my wife and my daughter surrounded by water and a vast array of ocean life I was struck with a realization. Only a fool would say, "There is no god!" YAHWEH has revealed Himself in what we call General Revelation in spectacular ways!! Whether it's through the smile on the face of a Beluga Whale, the stripes on a tropical fish, the tail on a stingray, the waddle of an emperor penguin, the laugh of my own daughter as she watches the emperor penguin or the way my wife winks at me because I remind her of a Tiger Shark. All of these incredible miracles reveal that there must be a Creator behind all of this creative-creation!! 
I am consistently amazed by the fact that there is a huge segment of our American populace that goes home at night after a day surrounded by the miracle of creation while living on a planet that hangs unsupported in space, miraculously and yet consistently revolving around a gigantic star that helps sustain life on this planet, while they eat and drink and laugh with their families and yet they still believe that GOD is not. We ask for GOD to show us miracles and then we'll really believe. Maybe He's already answered that prayer. Look! FIIIIISSSSHHHHH!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw, Annabelle just keeps getting more and more beautiful!
We sure miss you guys!