Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Leaders

I had lunch with my friend Keith Sargent yesterday (aka "The Sarge"). Keith is a high school teacher/ driving instructor extraordinaire and he serves faithfully in the High School Ministry. I first met him when we went on our Philadelphia mission trip almost 2 months ago. Keith was in my van (or should I say I was in his) and he drove us all the way from the ATL to "The City of Brotherly Love" without ever taking a break. I offered to drive but Keith said he was OK. I still don't know if this is because he just really loves to drive or if he was still trying to figure out if I was over twelve years old. I knew, however, that this guy was an ironman if he could drive a van filled with cackling/ laughing/ singing teenagers over 13 hours straight without ever stopping to bang his head against a guard rail.
Yesterday as we ate at Chic-fil-A {thank you sweet Jesus!} and talked about things like high school ministry and Greek Orthodoxy {you don't wanna know} I was reminded how blessed this ministry is to have people like this serving in it. Keith stands tall like a linebacker but he has an incredible heart that beats for Christ. And he can grow facial hair which, as always, causes me to envy greatly.

2 comments:

Sarge72 said...

I would prefer to be called an offensive lineman, but oh well. Lunch was awesome.

RobertAGC said...

As an Orthodox Christian (read, "Greek Orthodox"), I would actually be fascinated to hear your thoughts. I wish I could have been in the van.