Sunday, May 4, 2008

ENGAGE Retreat and Hebrews 11


So I just got back from taking about 30 student leaders in our high school ministry on an overnight retreat. I'm just now getting to know these students so it was a blessing hanging out with them on a retreat like this. There's nothing quite like driving a van full of teenagers singing "Grin Again Gang" for 30 minutes straight and telling stories of a barber named Bill, his doll-faced wife, and and the dinosaur he tried to shave {don't ask}! I'm learning that transitioning into a new ministry is a lot like being a space shuttle making a re-entry into the stratosphere. It's a bit bumpy and awkward at times but the payoff for persevering is well worth it.
During the retreat I shared a devotion with these students. The Lord had put the topic of "real faith" on my heart. We read from the incredible faith chapter, Hebrews 11. What amazes me about this scripture is that you see what it means to really have faith. In the case of everyone mentioned in this chapter (From Noah to Rahab to everyone else in between!) there is a specific "faith progression". First, God made a promise. Then the person with faith risked it all by believing God. Then God showed up in a HUGE way. But none of the people were shown exactly how everything would turn out before they lived by faith and believed God.
The scripture that burned a hole in my heart was the last part of verse 27. When talking about Moses, the writer of Hebrews says, "he persevered because he saw him who is invisible." What?! Does anyone else see something weird here?! How in the flip do you see something OR some-one that's invisible?! Then it hit me. The more often I risk it all to live by faith the more often I will likely see God. If I never live by ridiculous faith I probably won't see the invisible God. Moses saw him who is invisible because he believed God and obeyed Him. The result: God showed up! Moses saw God show up! Moses saw God!!
This idea seems to carry even into the New Testament when we look at the ministry of Jesus. The end of Matthew chapter 13 tells us about Jesus going to his hometown of Nazareth. He had grown up there which made it difficult for the people there (parents of the kids he played with, teachers at the local school, etc.) to believe he was actually Messiah. They did not have faith. The result is what seems to me to be a haunting scripture.
"And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith." (Matthew 13:58)
There seems to be a connection between believing God and seeing God move. Rather than doing more miracles in a place where unbelief reigned in order to prove who he is, Jesus instead does few miracles. All because these people lacked faith.
The bottom line for me is this: I don't want to miss God. I don't want to not see the invisible God. May my life be one of ridiculous faith that I may see God move in powerful ways. And if He chooses not to move in the ways I long for Him to I will still believe that He must have a better plan than I ever did!
I believe that God has brought me to this place. I believe that God has brought me to this ministry for such a time as this. I believe that God has brought me to these students. I believe that God has brought me to these adult volunteers. I believe that God has led me to this city. For such a time as this I find myself here. I believe that God is getting ready to unleash a whirlwind of power. I want to risk it all for the sake of my King. And if I perish I perish. But either way..... I will see God

2 comments:

RobertAGC said...

This is a good insight, and it all relates to the incarnation, ultimately, because these people were microcosms of Israel. We learn from St. Paul that it wasn't enough that they performed the rituals perscribed, but that they should have done so in faith, expecting the Incarnation, and hoping for it. What is astounding is that we, eventually, do see the invisible God because He revealed himself to us. Thus, St. Simeon says, "Lord, now lettest Thou thy servant depart in peace, according to Thy word. For my eyes have seen thy salvation, which you have prepared before the face of all people: a light to lighten the gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel."

Scott Elliott said...

that's cool dude. i'm speaking out of hebrews one night in june for xrds.