Sunday, April 13, 2008

My Trip to Philly



Last week I went on my very first trip with the high school students of 12Stone. With the help of some incredible adult volunteers from the ministry I led a trip into the inner city of Philadelphia, PA. We spent the week doing ministry on Kensington Avenue. It's one of the most broken and dark places I have ever been. The streets are laced with prostitutes (male and female), drug dealers, and crowds of homeless people. The graffitti-clad buildings cast shadows over the people while the air is constantly filled with the sound of booming-bass from cars thumping the likes of Chris Brown and Nelly. And all the while time seems to stand still under the elevated train that covers Kensington.
Throughout the week we worked with some incredible people in an organization called AIM. These people have such a heart for the people on Kensington Avenue and all those living in Philly's inner-city. They actually live there year-round. They minister full-time to the broken people who fill those streets. 
We walked the streets of Philly having providential conversations with the homeless, grilling them hot dogs, serving them steaming coffee, and praying for them as they expressed needs. Much can be learned in a week like this. The LORD taught me some staggering truths during my time in Philly (The Birthplace of America). I'd like to share a few of them now.
  • -I've been incredibly judgemental toward the homeless and their plight. I've acted like a jerk toward them my whole life. I need to grow up. I repent.
  • -I see why Jesus chose to spend so much time hanging out with the "riff-raff". There's not an ounce of pre-tense in them. They're just happy you're there.
  • - Processed hot dogs smothered with sauerkraut and canned chili can actually taste good when you're eating them with hurting homeless people in Philly who really appreciate them.
  • - People living on the streets care about the same thing I do like the presidential election, the war in Iraq, and whether or not the Braves will beat the Phillies in the NL East.
  • - There's so much more to Christianity than just Bible studies & church attendance. Start to serve and give yourself away to those in need and you'll realize this.
  • - The only real difference between those of us living in the suburbs and those who sleep in the dark alleys of Kensington Avenue in Philly is where we sleep and live. Our struggles are the same. Lust, selfishness, addictions, anger, greed, and pride to name a few.
  • - The absence of fathers who care for and lead their families seems to be the root of all this brokenness.
  • - People in Philly really hate the Dallas Cowboys. I mean with a vitriolic hate.
  • - Flyers fans are psycho!
  • - One day even the darkness, sin, and despair so visible in a place like Kensington Avenue will be defeated by Jesus Christ. Every knee on Kensington will one day bow to the King.

Here's to you, Philly! Thank you for the lessons.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow! what a great discription of your time in Philly!
I truly enjoyed this blog!