Tuesday, April 29, 2008

What Friendship Means


Today I spent some time with one of my best friends, Joel. We talked about life and ministry as we ate hot wings and way too many curly fries. We laughed about old memories and dreamed about what the future may hold for each of our families. As we sat there in Beef O'Brady's Restaurant surrounded by sports memorabilia and about 16 flat screen tv's,  I felt blessed. Striking up these old friendships has been a gift from GOD over the past month-and-a-half. In addition to being at a church where I have learned a year's worth of lessons already, I have been able to hang out with friends I feel a real kindredness to. Joel is one of those friends I can imagine myself sitting on a patio with when I'm 70 complaining about the rising prices of prunes and milk of magnesia. 
Another good friend of mine is Jason. We have been friends for about 10 years now (Dude, i'm getting old!). I love talking to Jason (whenever we have a serious conversation) because even though we have vastly different backgrounds we think extremely similarly about ministry. His office is about 7 doors down from mine at the church. We actually live officially 3 doors down from Jason and his family. I consider it a joy getting a knock on my front door at 11pm from him asking if he can borrow one of my Nintendo Wii games. 
Here at 12Stone I feel like I've already made some pretty cool friendships with the guys on staff with me too. Brett (Middle School Pastor) is a stinking trip! It was a touching experience spitting lugies off of the bridge at the church and racing the 12Stone golf carts in the parking lot in our own makeshift Daytona 500. Berry (One of the Children's Pastors) is the master of one liners. The dude literally makes me laugh every time he opens his mouth! Miles (the College Pastor) is an inspiration to me. The way he blasts his music next door so loud that it makes my bookcases rattle inspires me to buy ear plugs. But it also makes me laugh. The favorite part of my week is when we find ourselves huddled around someone's computer watching the latest hilarious youtube video that one of us has victoriously tracked down.
I've learned some lessons about friendship over the past few weeks. Friendship is a gift. To have compadres in this life is crucial. Especially when you're in ministry. Having dudes with you who can relate on a close level to the life GOD has called you to is vital. Having guys I can laugh with and who can remind me that "we should take Jesus seriously, but not ourselves" is a blessing I am thankful for.
I miss the friends I had over on the west coast. Especially the few fellow soldiers who know me deeper than anyone. I miss them greatly. But I am very grateful that the LORD has provided more here at 12Stone. What does friendship mean to me? It means always having a reason to smile.............. and laugh my butt off at a youtube video.

No comments: